California Student Media Festival Awards Ceremony Update

Congratulations to to all the students who worked on the 5 1/2 minute long “How to Transport Your Household Hazardous Waste to the Special Waste Collection Center” film and the “City of Elk Grove Reminds You…Green and Clean” commercial!

These films won awards from the California Student Media Festival! The Special Waste Collection Center film won Best Elementary Cross Generational Project (Adults and Students Working as Partners or Co-Learners) film.

The Commercial won Best After School/Extra Curricular film.

The awards ceremony will take place June 7 starting at 9:00am at the Harmony Gold Preview House on 7655 W. Sunset Blvd. in Los Angeles, CA.

IF…and this is a big if…if you worked on these productions and would like to attend the awards ceremony, you may! The only catch: you will need to arrange air transportation and lodging at your own expense. I am unable to attend this year’s ceremony due to moving into a new house and attending my daughter’s play with Musical Mayhem Productions. I apologize for not being able to join you in the celebration. But I do promise that if we win awards next year when you are in 6th grade, I will be there! 🙂

It’s not mandatory we have anyone attend. It is completely optional. The awards will be filmed, winners will be interviewed, and the entire package will be edited into a 1 hour special that will air on PBS Socal with a viewership of 5.5 million people! You can see Kimmera Smith, a Foulks Ranch student and winner from last year’s festival, in her interview by clicking HERE. Kimmera appears at 13:43 and her film is shown at 15:44.

I did research flights and hotel accommodations and have information to share below.

Flights

Since the award ceremony for elementary categories starts at 9:00am, it will be necessary to fly into Los Angeles the night before. The earliest flight arrives in Burbank at 8:35am, just 25 minutes before awards start. The airport is about 6 miles from the awards ceremony location, but considering flight delays and traffic (probably light on a Saturday morning), it is possible you could miss the award ceremony if something goes wrong.

Below is a list of times of Southwest departing flights on Friday night from Sacramento to Burbank:

Friday departures from Sacramento to Burbank $131

depart 4:45 arrive 5:55

depart 6:55 arrive 8:05

depart 8:35 arrive 9:45

Southwest Saturday departures from Burbank to Sacramento $77

depart 11:15 arrive 12:35

depart 1:50 arrive 3:05

depart 4:55 arrive 6:10

depart 7:00 arrive 8:15

Lodging

As for hotels, I found a Best Western Plus 1 mile from the award ceremony location. The address is: 8400 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90069 and their phone number is (323) 654-0750.

I also did a Google search for hotels near the awards ceremony. You can view the search by clicking HERE.

Ground Transportation

As for getting around town, I would recommend taking a cab which are easily accessible at John Wayne Airport in Burbank.