Today we read an article about cicadas and discussed how a main idea is something we assert to be true. A main idea is something that we claim. A main idea needs to be supported by evidence.
These are the main ideas we brainstormed in class today:
- We shouldn’t be prejudiced toward cicadas.
- Cicadas can benefit us.
- Cicadas are relatively harmless but can cause some problems.
- Cicadas are strange insects.
- Cicadas are interesting insects.
- Cicadas and grasshoppers are different (This had the lease evidence.)
- Cicadas have caused problems throughout history.
- Cicadas can be disturbing to some.